PDA

View Full Version : Team Associated TC6.1

Paych3ck
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
I bought one and will be racing it in the VTA class soon. If anyone else has a tc6 let me know and maybe we compare setups! Also, I would be interested to know what spare parts you would recommend...

Brian Davis
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
If it's a TC6.1 I would recommend getting the front c-hubs from the original TC5/TC6. You'll need to shim them a bit between the hub/a-arm, but they're MUCH stronger than the 6.1 hubs. Other that than, the shock springs, pistons, and bladders from Reflex Racing are nice to have, but not necessary.

Paych3ck
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks! That is some good info to know. I will look for those parts and get some to have on hand. I was thinking about ordering the Reflex Racing springs, it is good to know someone recommends them. I ordered the RSD DCJ's for my car because the binding drives me nuts. They haven't arrived yet, but they were highly recommended. Sounds like I may have to make another order!

admin
06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Anyone have a used TC6 or TC6.1 for sale?

Bill
Hobby Central

Brian Davis
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks! That is some good info to know. I will look for those parts and get some to have on hand. I was thinking about ordering the Reflex Racing springs, it is good to know someone recommends them. I ordered the RSD DCJ's for my car because the binding drives me nuts. They haven't arrived yet, but they were highly recommended. Sounds like I may have to make another order!

Were you the guy on RCTech asking about the spool chatter? Although I mentioned the DCJ's, they really aren't necessary. The car produces so much steering that you probably won't need full lock, anyways. You also shouldn't break much in the VTA class, but the spare parts that I always carry with me are-

Front steering blocks
C-hubs
front arms
rear arms
arm mounts
dogbone blades (My TC5 would eat these like Skittles in the VTA class. Never could figure out why)
ball cups
spur gear

The car is tough, but it's always best to be prepared.

Cegpcola
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't mind possibly moving over into a TC6 or 6.1 at some point, but for now my JRXS type R is working. I know though that at somepoint I am going to run out of parts and not be able to get spare for it, but so far have not broke anything. I might look at a TC6.1 within the next year to start moving over to.

Paych3ck
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Were you the guy on RCTech asking about the spool chatter? Although I mentioned the DCJ's, they really aren't necessary. The car produces so much steering that you probably won't need full lock, anyways. You also shouldn't break much in the VTA class, but the spare parts that I always carry with me are-

Front steering blocks
C-hubs
front arms
rear arms
arm mounts
dogbone blades (My TC5 would eat these like Skittles in the VTA class. Never could figure out why)
ball cups
spur gear

The car is tough, but it's always best to be prepared.

Yeah, that was me. I am new to touring cars as well as all-wheel drive cars and just couldn't understand why a car would do that. I also didn't realize that supposedly my car won't have that problem when it's on the ground? I don't really understand why it won't but that is what everyone says. I am going to print out that list and get some spare parts! Nothing sucks more than not being able to drive because of one part. I look forward to getting to know the other tc6 (and tc5) guys. I stand to learn a lot from those of you with more experience. Kurtis has already been working with me and helping me familiarize myself with the different aspects of racing and tuning. Oh, and I already ordered the DCJ's so I guess we will just have to play with them now and see how we like them!

admin
06-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Looks like I might have to start stocking some TC6/6.1 parts. We almost have a class of Associated cars LOL. I guess instead of the Ford - Chevy Challenge, it will be the Team Associated - Xray challenge.

Bill
www.hobbycentralrc.com (http://www.hobbycentralrc.com)

Cegpcola
06-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Wish there was a reason for you to stock Losi touring car parts for me, but at least I have a spare load of stuff for now. I could just about build 2 complete cars from what I have in spares.

Kurtis

admin
06-02-2012, 05:50 AM
I\'m not sure but I think that Silent Wolf had one of those chassis\', maybe Brad can get him to come back out. He has been out and watched and he still runs off-road at FWB.Unluckily that chassis came out right before we stopped racing and we never stocked parts for it.

Bill

admin
06-02-2012, 05:52 AM
I wish we could get as much interest in touring car racing as the VTA class is getting.

Bill

Paych3ck
06-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Whoo hoo! TC6/6.1 parts in stock would rock! Who knows, as much tweaking as it seems like everyone does with these VTA cars, touring seems like a pretty logical next step to me. I could see it happening. Who knows, maybe I'll even buy another TC6.1!

go4tecit
06-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone have an opinion about the TC4? It looks like it may be a good, less expensive entry level touring car.

Cegpcola
06-02-2012, 09:46 PM
The TC4 would be great for VTA Class, but might limit you a little in the Touring class. Not to say that it wouldn't work for touring, but the TC6 would be an overall better platform for Touring. There is nothing wrong with the TC4 at all, it just doesn't have some of the options that are available on updated chassis. But in the hands of a skilled driver, I am sure it would be good in Touring also. Basically it is a great car, but overall nothing is better than track time.

Kurtis

Paych3ck
06-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I would have to agree with Cegpcola. My understanding is that the TC4 would be perfect for VTA and probably good at touring, but if you get serious with touring you may want an upgraded chassis. I bought the TC6.1 and I can tell you that it has a ton of settings and adjustments that I don't even know what they do. I am having to learn about them in order to be able to setup my car properly. If I was thinking "Hey I wanna try my hand at RC car racing, but I don't want to invest too much money (in case I don't like it) or a too much time (until I know if I am going to stick with it)" then I would buy the TC4 for sure. I wouldn't even think twice. However, if you are thinking "I want to try VTA, but it may be too slow and I will probably want to jump up to touring", then I would probably go with the TC6.1. It really just depends on how much time and money you want to invest in it. I believe both chassis are probably great chassis, you just get some extra adjustments on the TC6.1. I would be more than happy to let you check out my TC6.1 and then you can look at a TC4 (I think Bill has one in stock) and you can decide which one is best for you! Also, like previously stated the more time you have invested in driving your vehicle the better you will be!

admin
06-03-2012, 04:30 AM
It goes without saying that the TC6.1 is better suited for a skilled driver, but you could get started with a TC4 for 40% of the cost of a 6.1 and then as your skills/commitment increase you could make the TC4 a VTA car or sell it to another noob or VTA racer. I'm willing to bet if we put a TC4 in the hands of Flying Brian or Team GPT (Danny/Eddie) they could stomp most of the TC6's out there. I remember watching an expert driver with a Duratrax Street Force whip several other good drivers with superior cars years ago. In most cases driving skills are the limiting factor not the equipment. But, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a top of the line car and growing your skills with it. If you stick with it as a hobby it will be propably be cheaper in the long run and you won't to worry about finding yourself in a hotel room if your equipment is holding you back like Team GPT LOL.

Bill

admin
06-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I've put a few parts for the TC5/6/6.1 on the order this week. I'm presuming that they all use the same belts?

Brian Davis
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Belts are one of the few things that carry over between all 3 cars.

Parts that carry over from the TC5 to the TC6-

Belts
Diff Pulleys
CVAs
Blades
A-arms
Arm mounts
Hinge pins
Hubs
Steering blocks
C-hubs
Wheel hexes
Swaybars
Body mounts

Parts from the TC5 that carry over to the TC6.1-

Belts
CVA (bones and rebuild kits - axles are different)
Blades
C-hubs can be made to work w/shimming and are stronger than the 6.1 parts
Arm Mounts
Hinge Pins
Wheel Hexes
Body Mounts

That's about it.. from the TC5->TC6 AE changed the chassis and central drivetrain. With the TC6->TC6.1 they replaced almost all of the parts that were carry-overs from the TC5. Outside of a few odd/ends the TC6.1 is a totally different car than the TC5 was.

Paych3ck
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Glad to know I will be able to get parts local, the way I drive I am going to need them!

Brian Davis
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
TC5/6/6.1 frontend insurance (TC6/6.1 will need a little dremel work to fit, but it will work)

this..
30050 Associated TC5 Kydex Bumper - Speed Shop (http://cefxspeedshop.com/30050-Associated-TC5-Kydex-Bumper-30050.htm?categoryId=-1)
combined with this..
30202 Associated TC5 Foam Bumper - Long - Speed Shop (http://cefxspeedshop.com/30202-Associated-TC5-Foam-Bumper-Long-30202.htm?categoryId=-1)

Equals a car that's VERY hard to break.

Paych3ck
06-06-2012, 07:19 PM
That is outstanding information! I will probably be ordering these soon. Are they bigger than the OEM bumper? I already had to cut a little off the front of the stock foam bumper so that my body would fit. What do you think? Was this a bad idea? Should I replace it?

Brian Davis
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
The foam on the CEFX bumper is larger, wider, and stiffer than the AE foam. To me the stock TC6 bumper is worthless because it's not wide enough to protect the front suspension. Even before I switched to the CEFX bumper, I cut a replacement bumper out of a piece of Parma bumper material. If you need to trim the bumper to make the body fit, that's fine. You still want the bumper to support the front of the body as much as possible, though. I usually rough-cut mine with a finely serrated steak knife, sand with a Dremel to the final shape, and then go over the foam with a cigarette lighter to get rid of the "fuzzies".

admin
06-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Belts are one of the few things that carry over between all 3 cars.

Parts that carry over from the TC5 to the TC6-

Belts
Diff Pulleys
CVAs
Blades
A-arms
Arm mounts
Hinge pins
Hubs
Steering blocks
C-hubs
Wheel hexes
Swaybars
Body mounts

Parts from the TC5 that carry over to the TC6.1-

Belts
CVA (bones and rebuild kits - axles are different)
Blades
C-hubs can be made to work w/shimming and are stronger than the 6.1 parts
Arm Mounts
Hinge Pins
Wheel Hexes
Body Mounts

That's about it.. from the TC5->TC6 AE changed the chassis and central drivetrain. With the TC6->TC6.1 they replaced almost all of the parts that were carry-overs from the TC5. Outside of a few odd/ends the TC6.1 is a totally different car than the TC5 was.

Thanks for the input Brian.

Bill

viperbill1963
06-16-2012, 04:35 PM
bill sent ya a pm